O3 Visa General Summary
Summary of the O3 Visa
- Spouses. You can be a straight or gay (same-sex) married couple.
- Children. Must be under 21 years of age. Must be unmarried.
- Girlfriends, Boyfriends, and Fiance's do not qualify.
- You can live in the US.
- You can go to school in the US.
- You can freely travel in and out of the US.
- You can freely transfer to a different visa.
- You can pursue permanent residency.
- No limit on number distributed by the US.
- You cannot work in the US.
- If you are a minor child, your visa expires when you turn 21.
- If you are a spouse and your marriage ends, so does your visa.
O3 VISA GENERAL TERMS
An O-3 Visa is a US Visa granted to families of O-1 or O-2 Visa holders, allowing them to accompany their relative to the US. It is not a work visa. Although you can study in the US while on an O-3 Visa, you cannot work there. Also, the Visa is only good for spouses and minor children. Any other relative will not qualify for an O-3 Visa. O-3’s are different than O-1’s and O-2’s because you don’t have to apply to USCIS for approval. Instead, you apply at a consulate/embassy once your relative’s O-1/O-2 visa has been approved by USCIS. These Visa’s are pretty much rubber stamped, which means unless something very out of the ordinary happens, you will be easily approved for one.
Process to get the O3 Visa
Wait for your related O1/O2 visa holder to get an Approval notice in the mail from USCIS for their visa Application.
IF THE O3 VISA APPLICANT IS OUTSIDE OF THE US2. At the same time as the O1/O2 visa holder, or at a later date:
a. Locate a US Consulate (also known as embassy) that you can get to easily.
b. Make an appointment for an O Visa.
c. Complete the DS-160 Form online.
d. Schedule your appointment and pay online.
e. Go to Visa Interview.
f. Get Visa Stamped Passport in Mail.
3. That's it! Welcome to the US!
IF THE O3 VISA APPLICANT IS ALREADY INSIDE THE US2. Submit an I-539 to change status. Can be submitted with O-1 Application or after approval.
3. Recieve approval of change of status in mail. That's it!